The island of Con Dao is 230 km from Ho Chi Minh city. Originally it
was used by the French to incarcerate revolutionary prisoners.
Nowadays Con Dao is considered an historical vestige where fighters
for independence were held and tortured.
The prison, built in 1861, covers a total area of 347,140 sq.m.
Part has been transformed into a museum where tiger cages, set up
during the period of colonialism, still remain. One kilometre behind
the prison is Hang Duong Cemetery where several prisoners were